Australian Embassy
Federated States of Micronesia

Services for Australians

Services for Australians Overseas


What we can and cannot do

Assisting Australians overseas within limits


Privacy Policy

Consular Privacy Collection Statement

Department\'s Privacy Policy


Travel information for Australians

Important changes to Smartraveller are coming. Our new Smartraveller website will be launched in November. It will include a simpler system for getting travel advice updates and a new approach to registration.

Travellers have told us what they want most from Smartraveller is timely travel advice.  We’ve listened, and we’re working on a subscription service that will deliver the latest updates to your inbox and SMS critical alerts in a crisis.

As part of the update we no longer ask Australians to register their travel before departure.  

From November, Smartraveller’s registration system will activate only when there’s a crisis overseas.  

The service we provide to Australians in difficulty overseas is not changing. 

You’re still welcome to register your travel with Smartraveller until November.  

As always, we encourage Australians overseas to stay in touch with friends and family and let them know you’re safe.

If you need immediate assistance, you can call the Consular Emergency Centre on +61 2 6261 3305 from overseas or 1300 555 135 from within Australia.

For more information visit:


Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

With recent dengue fever outbreaks in the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau, the following websites can provide up-to-date information on travel to these destinations:


  • As of 1 July 2015, The Australian Government requires all overseas applicants (including renewals) to present to an Australian Government Official for a face to face Interview.
  • The Australian Embassy which has consular responsibilities for RMI, FSM, ROP, CNMI and GUAM is located in Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia
  • From 1 July 2015 all passport applications/renewals lodged overseas will be charged an additional ‘Overseas Application Fee’.
    • There are other Embassies and Consulates (Manila, Tokyo, Honolulu, etc), and you are able to choose the most convenient location to lodge your passport application.
    • Some Australian diplomatic mission or consulates may provide outreach and travel to other cities to accept passport applications. Applicants should contact the relevant mission or consulate directly for details



Visit the Australian Passport Office


  • From 1 January 2016, collection of lost/stolen fees will cease/abolish, with new validity rules apply:       
    • Twice in the five years immediately prior to the lodgement date, the validity of new travel document will be reduced to five years
    • Three or more times in the five years immediately prior to the lodgement date, the validity of new travel document will be reduced to two years.


  • Applications for an emergency passport lodged on or after 1 January 2016, a discrete fee will apply.


  • Passport fees will increase on 1 January 2016 in line with the movement of the Australian Consumer Price Index.


    • Adults and child aged 16 or 17, 10-year validity passport A$254;
    • Child under 16 and those aged 75 and older, 5- year validity passport A$127;
    • Adult passport overseas surcharge A$102;
    • Child overseas surcharge A$51
    • Emergency passport application fee is A$153.


  • The Department will issue 10-year validity passports for children aged 16 or 17. The issue of a 10-year passport is not optional. The usual requirements for a child passport application will continue to apply, including parental consent requirements. All 16 or 17 year olds applicants must be accompanied by a person with parental responsibility to lodge their passport application.


  • Online versions of the revised Overseas Application (PC8) forms should be available by the first week of January 2016; PC8s will not be available in hardcopy until March. All PC8 applicants are encourage to go online at


On-line registration for Australians overseas

We encourage use of this online registration service by Australians planning to reside overseas for extended periods, and those travelling to locations where there are security risks.


Living in Country


Former residents

A gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services 


Centrelink International Services

Provides information about Centrelink International Services, the area of Centrelink responsible for delivery of social welfare payments to customers who are outside of Australia for 13 weeks or more.

Returning to Australia

Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.

Taking cats and dogs to Australia